Thursday, January 6, 2011

Slowing down but looking foward

Yesterday the heat was off at work and I froze all day.  Then I went to the indoor track at RPAC and warmed up quickly.  I had a tough run; a pitiful 4 miles plus a fifth mile of half running/half walking.  My miles were 10:04, 10:22, 10:24, 11:04, and 12:19.  

I'm trying to figure out why running got harder and I got slower these past few weeks.  About a month ago, I was doing really well and running at a consistent 10 minute mile for a 5K and just under 11 minute miles for 10K.  Then I got slammed at work and had two consecutive weeks when I ran only one day.  Now I've added 30 seconds + per mile.  What's up with that?  Getting some consistency back since December 22 hasn't brought me back up yet either.  And it's not just the pace, the distances are tougher too.  I wonder if I've gained some weight.  My clothes still fit.  But I'm avoiding the scale.

I have two theories about why I've slowed down. 
  1. I tried to keep the same pace after being off for most of 2 weeks.  Perhaps I'm running too fast and I need to adjust my expectations and slow down again.  The idea is that if I go back to a 3 minute run/1 minute walk pattern with the slower pace, say a consistent 11 minute mile, then perhaps I'd speed up again later.
  2. The other theory is that I've gained weight and now it's tougher to run.  I much prefer theory #1 since losing weight is such a struggle for me. 
Perhaps I should throw away the watch and just focus on distance for awhile.  The zenrunner would probably agree.  He and eddie marathon host the Slow Runners Club podcast and encourage the idea of just getting out there and ignoring the time. 

Speaking of the Slow Runners Club, I may be interviewed on one of their podcasts soon.  Zenrunner is doing a marathon to benefit breast cancer research and I offered to help him raise money for the cause by chatting about my recent experience with diagnosis and surgery.  He'll record the skype session and then edit it to include clips on the Slow Runners Club podcast.  I guess I'm moving up to audio now!  And Steverunner will be recording video at the poco loco.  I'm a few years behind these run net leaders, but I'm slowly getting connected with this social media world.

Video from Steverunner about poco loco
Video from Zenrunner plugging kellyinmotion episode of Slow Runners Club 

No comments:

Post a Comment