Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Day

Busy weekend full of sports.  Jason took the prize though.  On Saturday, he had a basketball game (12 points and they won by 2).  On Sunday, he had a B swim meet followed by a baseball hitting and pitching clinic and he still had the energy for a Wii Dance marathon at home that night.  To top it all off, today, he had a tough swim practice.  Active guy, that Jason.

At the swim meet, Jason earned 1st place in the medley relay and he made the difference in the race by giving them the lead they kept throughout.  He also got 2nd in the 100 back, 3rd in the 50 back, and 8th in the 50 free.  He earned his team 84 points, 40 of which was for the relay.

As for me . . . I had a tough run on Saturday, a good 90 minutes of competitive volleyball with Ken on Sunday, and a good run this afternoon while the kids were at swim practice. 

Tonight I ran 5 miles with a run-walk-run ratio of 3 minutes running to one minute walking throughout.  My time was 51:59 and my legs were tired at the end, but my last mile was the quickest, so I had something left in the tank, unlike my long run on Saturday.  My miles were 10:27, 10:26, 10:15, 10:40, and 10:09.  I was thrilled, especially considering that I'm nursing an annoying head cold. 

Although I had great plans for relaxing this weekend, I didn't spend much time doing nothing.  I took a 3 hour nap in the middle of the day today, so I guess that counts.  I also took the time to make chili and beef and noodles.

I hope you all had a good Martin Luther King day.  He was a great man who continues to have an impact on our nation and our world.  It is good we take time to reflect on his messages and celebrate his life.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. in Strength To Love 1963


1 comment:

  1. Jason the "machine guy"....I think he may have watched too many "Energizer Bunny" commercials : - ). Great run Kelly, especially with the cold. Sorry not much relax time.....sounds like time to pull out a bunch of apple martinis, spa visit, and massage....

    ReplyDelete