Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Slow runners club

Today I ran outside!  I'm such a weather wimp.  Lately I've been running while the kids are at swim practice and if the wind chill is below 25 or so, I've been running on the indoor track.  Today I ran at home on my mile loop through the neighborhood.  It was about 35 degrees F and sunny (but windy).

I was so encouraged just a few weeks ago but now I think I'm slowing down again.  My 5K was 32:10 today.  The miles were 10:23, 10:26, and 10:23.  I walked a minute about every three minutes throughout. 

While running today, I listened to the Slow Runner's Club podcast.  I started with the first episode which was the beta version Zen Runner posted just before Thanksgiving.  I'll keep listening during my runs until I catch up with the current episode.  I'm really excited about this podcast.  Like Steverunner and Geek Girl Runner, I really appreciate podcasts that applaud and inspire slow runners like myself.

Speaking of Geek Girl Runner . . . . I'm sending this shout out to congratulate Kris on meeting her goal of running 1,000 km in 2010.  She came right down to the wire and on the last day of the year passed the threshold and came in at 1002.41 km for the year.  Great job, Kris!

In other news, since I got back from vacation in Utah, my Lymphedema has been incredibly mild.  My hand has been only slightly swollen (a level 2 or 3 on a 10 point scale) the past 3 days.  Today, even after the run, I'd rate it at level 2.  That's really great!

I'm only on my second day back at work and it's kicking my butt again.  I've really got to get out of this situation where I'm acting as director, manager, and business analyst.  One of my two manager positions will be filled beginning next week.  The other one hasn't been posted yet, so it is at least 3 months before I'll get any relief there.  I'm working to train the business analysts and expect that process to continue with high intensity for another 5-6 months or so.  So maybe I'll be able to function effectively as the director by mid-summer. 

2 comments:

  1. Awww, thanks for that! And congrats on getting in an outside run. I'm so lucky that it never gets below freezing here, otherwise I'd totally wimp out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget that weather has its own effects on running, especially speed......heat and cold both can add time to your pace, especially when you are 1st encountering them. Patience Kelly....now that you are into this running stuff, one thing that you will experience is that not every run will be your best, but overall you will make progress. Actually, the most beneficial ones may be the ones where you feel the worst, but keep on going. Proud of you Kelly and so will your new running mates at Poco Loco.

    ReplyDelete