Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cuts everywhere

At work, we have many major events going on:
  • The budget looks bleak next year and everyone expects significant layoffs.
  • We are undergoing and efficiency study by a consultant group.
  • We are about to undergo a significant reorganization organization-wide just months after we started (and have not yet completed) our own reorganization internal to our VP unit. 
  • Our VP is leaving.
  • We have been doing more with less for so long, we cannot continue on that path.  We now ire to do less with less. 
  • Even before budget cuts, I'm now required to prove I need to keep any position that becomes open.  And this isn't just a simple study to see if we can do without positions, this is as big of a deal as if I'm asking for a brand new position.
I can't keep up the pace I've been running at work and remain healthy.  I'm going to have to start doing even less myself and I'm already not doing much of the job I know I should be doing (because I'm doing jobs others should be doing). 

In the kids' school district, they also have major cut backs due to the operating levy not being passed.  I can't believe the selfishness and clueless of the citizenship in our suburb.  This dire situation will decrease housing prices and make our area much less desirable for new businesses and families.  I haven't read the full list of expected changes, but some of them are below:
  • School day starting later (shorter school day) - and our kids live too close to bus - how will we get them there when weather is bad?
  • No physical education
  • No music
  • No art
  • Lots of administrative positions cut
All that said, I'm not overly stressed about it all.  It's just the way it is.  I'm too busy to keep up the pace, but if it doesn't get better soon, I will just stop being as effective.  I'll still be an important contributor but I'll quit pretending I can do all that I'm currently doing.  I can do it in a sprint, but not a marathon.  It's time to insert some walk breaks.

So the running analogy brings me to my run today.  I got to the gym a full hour later than expected (due to work) but I decided to try to get my full run in anyway.  The kids had to wait for me for a few minutes after swim practice.  I did 5 miles in 51:40.  My miles were 10:36, 9:25, 10:10, 10:52 and 10:43.  I followed the run by a 3 minute walk and then hit the showers and rushed to get the kids. 

What a whirl-wind day.  I'm very tired.  I'm going to bed now and will get up tomorrow and do it all over again.

2 comments:

  1. A wise young woman wrote in her blog a few days ago about "perspective". May be a good time to re-visit. Make believe you are way in the future and looking back on life....what really mattered....what pushed your buttons......what made you smile......what made a difference to you and your family, a real difference. You will make decisions that make sense for you, Ken, and your family. You have perspective....just that kind of gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite familiar with the "more with less" motto over here in government work, too :-) Like you said, we've been saying/doing that so long, that I finally heard a newer version of that the other day - Instead of "more with less", now it's "everything with nothing"!

    ReplyDelete