Saturday, January 15, 2011

Long run/walk - SLOW

I had a tough long run this morning.  I put in 8 miles of run-walk-run in 1:30:15.  I started with running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute, but after mile 5, I had to shorten the running and lengthen the walking.  My ratio wasn't consistent, but the last few miles were something like 3 minutes running to 2 minutes walking.

My miles were 10:45, 10:44, 11:11, 11:33, 11:23, 11:49, and 12:08.  Like last week, it was an hour and a half of run-walk-run.  This week I didn't feel as good though.  I have a head cold and a pretty sore throat which may be a contributing factor.

I am now doubting my training plan.  I wonder if creating it after a really, really good run was such a great idea.  I may have over-estimated what I can do.  I think I'll revisit the plan to see what changes might make sense.  I don't want to get injured before the Poco Loco event.

I'm so glad it's a 3 day weekend for us.  Ken, the kids, and I have Monday off for Martin Luther King Day.  It will be a day to reflect on the impact the great man had on the world.  It will also be a day of rest.  I've been putting in too many hours at work and stretching myself pretty thin while there, too.  I may do a little work from home tonight or tomorrow, but I'd really like to try to detach from it completely on Monday. 

I should probably do some prep work for my interview on the Slow Runner's Club podcast which will take place Friday evening.  Adam is running a marathon to raise money for breast cancer, so I know he and Eddie will be asking about my breast cancer surgeries and how running helped me get through all that.  I should tell the story of walking laps with a walker around the nurses station the day after my bi-lateral mastectomy.  Now THAT'S a true slow runner story!  I had to be reminded that I did that before I actually remembered it.  The drugs were still very much in my system and making everything fuzzy.  But, hey, I guess I got a workout in that day.

1 comment:

  1. Remember Kelly, you are going to have tough days and nobody runs well with a cold. Enjoy the weekend and get some rest and connect time with Ken and the kids, you deserve it. Finally, you are going to blow away your new friends inPoco Loco.....they will be amazed by you.....as we all are. Hey, I snow shoed 4 miles around and over a mountain today....in 2 feet of snow....dam weird New Englanders! : - ).

    ReplyDelete