Monday, January 24, 2011

Training update

Today I ran on the RPAC track again while the kids were at swim team practice.  I put in 5 miles in 51:48.  My splits were 10:01, 10:22, 10:11, 10:48, and 10:18. 

Although my miles look pretty good (for me), the run wasn't an "easy" run like it was supposed to be today.  I used the run-walk-run with 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking throughout, but even so, I felt like I was pushing to get in the mileage.  It wasn't easy. 

I did 9 miles on Saturday, but today's 5 miles didn't seem much easier.  How can that be true?  Shouldn't 5 miles seem like a little trot in the park?  Perhaps my endurance isn't increasing quite like I expected.  Or maybe it's just the effect of the sinus infection I'm treating with antibiotics.  I'm not having any breathing problems, but perhaps my energy is a bit zapped.  I was a bit dizzy (in the vertigo sense), tired, and "off" today at work.  I considered going home after my first meeting, but I just had too much to do and . . . here it is . . . I also wanted to get in my run on the track tonight.  Hmmmm.

I'm feeling the need to get my miles in so I can stay on the training plan.  It's a tough week for running because I can't do a long run this weekend.  I have to officiate a swim meet all weekend (Friday night, Saturday day/night, and Sunday day/night), so I want to run 5 miles 3 times before 4pm on Friday.  One down, two to go. 

So tonight I'm tired and want to go to bed early.  The kids both are still doing homework, though, and it seems Ken is not feeling great, either.  I'd better get crackin' on helping with the homework so we can get the kids (and us) off to bed as soon as possible. 

1 comment:

  1. Careful Kelly, sometimes getting the mileage in is not as important as rest and recovery. Yes, the runs in a longer training plan seem like they are getting harder, but it will all pay off. When you are running with the Poco Loco guys and laughing and enjoying Boston and the party later....you will be praising the training program and the hard days. That said.....a rest day is okay : - ).

    ReplyDelete