Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Left my watch at home

I could let you think I was being smart and taking my last post to heart (and taking Jim's expert advice - see his comment on my last post).  However, I didn't intentionally leave my watch at home.  It's sitting here next to the computer smiling at me, knowing it was left behind in a subconscious attempt at healthy behavior.  And at the gym locker, when I realized I had left it at home, I smiled that same smile.

I wasn't smiling on the RPAC track, though.  I realized that without the watch, I had little incentive to actually keep running around in circles.  So I compromised.  I did a very slow warm up:  2 miles with much walking and slow running.  Then I did a timed 2 miles with no walk breaks (the track has huge digital clocks ticking off minutes and seconds at four places around the tiny 1/8 mile track).  My mile spits in the timed two miles were 10:30 and 10:00.  I cooled down with 1 last mile of walking and running, much like the very slow warm up.

I really don't know how long my workout was.  I would guess close to an hour.  I know the mileage was 5 miles, though.  I was scheduled to do 3 fast miles but decided to do 5 slower ones due to my sore calves.  I still did a tempo-like run with my timed 2 miles, so I feel like I followed the spirit of the plan anyway.

My calves are still pretty tight.  I stretched them a bit after my warm up and again at the end of the workout, but I don't think they loosened up much. 

1 comment:

  1. Posting to your blog is an act of faith in you. We fully understand that no matter what any of us say, you will ultimately decide....as it should be. However, there occassionally are mysterious interventions...... ironically, this one caught you when you were....okay, couldn't resist....."not watching" : - ).

    ReplyDelete