Saturday, February 19, 2011

Long run today

My long run today was 7 miles in 1:16:15.  I was disappointed in myself.  Not because of the speed (or lack thereof), but because of the mental stuff.  I've been dreading this run for a few days.  All morning I was dreading going out.  The weather was fine.  It was the distance that had me spooked.  I haven't been very successful during my long runs lately and I was afraid I couldn't do it.

When I finally shoved myself out the door, I didn't have a very good plan.  I just put on the Garmin, grabbed a water bottle and headed out.  The first mile I did well with a 3 minute run to 1 minute walk ratio.  After that, the walking and running were not well timed.  I just put them in whenever.  Overall, I'm sure the run part of the ratio was higher than 3 since I caught myself running 5 minutes or more without a walk break.  I never walked more than a minute, though.

My miles were 10:54, 10:52, 10:48, 11:00, 11:32, 11:00, and 10:09.  It wasn't easy on me physically, either.  I felt like a blister was starting on the outside of my arch and my back was tightening up throughout.  I was very ready to be done at 7 miles as planned.  No extra mile today.

I had negative self-talk sporadically throughout and after this less than optimal run.  The Poco Loco is almost 2 of these runs back-to-back.  Certainly I'm not ready for that.  I couldn't just say, "hey, that was a good 7, let's go do it again!"  I know I've still got a couple of months to train, but I like to be very well prepared for all events and I'm just not feeling it. 

On a positive note, I wore my new Lymphedema glove while running today and I like it much better than the old one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment