Monday, February 7, 2011

5 miles in 49:41 and an attitude adjustment

After a rotten day at work, I had a great run. 

I put in 5 miles in 49:41 on the RPAC indoor track.  After running an initial sub-30 minute 5K, I walked 2 minutes and then finished the last 1.8 miles running.  I didn't use the run-walk-run pattern today.  I ran most of the workout, thus creating a tempo run, I think.  For those of you who know, do I seem to understand the concept of a tempo run?  It's shorter than a long run, faster than an easy run, but not an all-out effort.  Right?  Well, that's what I did today.  And it wasn't terrible.  It felt pretty good, actually.  I could have run more if I had walked a minute or so and then kept running.  I wasn't straining to hold on to the pace, but it was a quick tempo for me.  I could have sprinted the .1 or so, though I didn't.

Prior to the run, I was stressed about work and very disappointed in the outlook for resources in our department.  I was overwhelmed with the work I have to do and tired of beating my head against the wall.  I didn't have much desire to run and thought I'd rather have a drink and try to relax.  Needless to say, I had pretty low expectations for the run. 

So why did the run go well?  Hmmm, well, I chose to run with a new music playlist I created over the weekend (using several songs from my daughter's new play list).  Choosing positive, uplifting music over informative podcasts was a very good choice today.  I was also able to distance myself from work and gain some perspective. 

Post-run, I have a better outlook.  No longer overwhelmed.  A bit tired though.  That's pretty much the status quo for me lately, though.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got out and ran Kelly. Yes, you have the idea of a tempo run...right on! And you also found one of the benefits in running....attitude adjustment. Sometimes it helps to just get out there, point yourself in a direction and go. Nothing to analyse, nothing to figure out....just go, point A to point B, and have some fun thoughts or music along the way.

    ReplyDelete