Saturday, February 12, 2011

Not following the training plan

I couldn't figure out what to do with my run today.  I was scheduled to do 10 miles, which I couldn't finish in the amount of time Val would be at swim practice.  Therefore, I needed to decide whether to do something else at RPAC (weights, rowing, cycle, stretch) or to run less mileage during that time.  I hadn't yet made a decision when I found myself stepping on the track.

After a 1/2 mile warm up walk, I started the clock for my run/walk/run pattern with 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking.  I was listening to a 4 Feet Running podcast produced by Nik and Dan who I'll be meeting in Boston in late April.  Nik is an insanely fit (and fast) marathon runner.  Her husband, Dan is more like me, though with significantly more endurance. During the podcast, Dan talked about training for the first Mojo Loco by doing some double workouts (he ran early in the day, rested, and then went out to run more).  I thought that sounded like a good idea.  While I was running, I decided I had time for 6 miles while Val was at swim practice and then I would run more miles outside later in the day. 

My 6 miles on the track wasn't that great, though.  It was more difficult than on Wednesday and I ended up completing it in 1:04:32.  I was tired after just 4 miles, so the last 2 were a bit of a stretch.  My splits were 10:53, 10:53, 10:34, 10:21, 11:04, and 10:51.  My calves were sore and tightening up for most of the run.  I finished with another 1/2 mile of walking for a cool down.  Afterward, I spent some time on the mat stretching my back and legs.  I was cooked. 

On the way home, I ate a Cliff bar for the protein.  And when I got home, I ate a sandwich.  I really didn't feel well so I laid down for a short rest.  A full 2 hours later, I still felt terrible.  After a shower and some hummus and crackers, I felt better, although my legs were tired.  Needless to say, I bowed out of the second workout.  Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be even better than today (overcast and lower 40's).    Maybe I should run tomorrow even though it's a scheduled day off.  We have a volleyball game in the evening, but I don't need to save my legs for that.  I'm the setter and, though I run all over the court to get the second hit, I don't jump much.

I'm disappointed by my run today and annoyed my legs are so tired.  This week, I put in 5 miles on Monday, 6 on Wednesday, and 6 today for a total of 17 miles.  I was scheduled to do 20 (5, 5, and 10).  Last Saturday, I was scheduled for a 9 mile long run, but I did 8.  I'm not following the plan.  This is not good.  For my first half marathon in 2008, I did a great job following my training plan. Now I'm not convinced I'm on track to be able to do the May 7 half marathon . . . or even to do the 6 miles x 2 at the Boston Poco Loco. 

I know my health may be causing some of my problems these past couple of weeks.  I had a sinus infection but I took a round of meds and thought I was over it.  Unfortunately, it came back.  On Friday, I got better meds and I'm hoping this second round of beefed up antibiotics does the trick.  I'm not as sick this second time though because I didn't let it go 10 days before seeing the doctor.

1 comment:

  1. Training is different for each person, so I am only going to recommend finding what makes sense to you along the way. Using your previous, successful training is a good way to "get your bearings" and guage your situation, but you also will want to temper that with other things going on that may be different. A plan is a benchmark and adapted by the "planner" to fit the situation. So hang in there Kelly....you will find your way.

    ReplyDelete