Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The new plan

I spent some time on my training plan today.  I resurrected my 2008 half marathon training plan and massaged it to fit my current life schedule.  It may work. 

The most important training alteration is to stop running all my weekday runs at 5 or 6 miles.  By this time in my training, I expected 5 miles to be easy, but it is not.  The consequence of running two 5+ mile runs during the week is that I'm finding it impossible to do a longer run on the weekend.  Ooooo.  Bad.  The long run is the most important one.  The other days are just "homework" for the long run.  Obviously, skipping the long run will not get me to the half marathon distance, 13.1 miles.

I'm also planning to spend less time on the indoor RPAC track.  I used to love the track but I've grown to hate it, lately.

Today I planned to follow my 2008 schedule which called for a 2 mile run outside at a 11:30ish pace.  So I ventured out with my Garmin and started an easy run.  I didn't watch the Garmin except to check the distance a couple of times.  My route was from RPAC around the OSU Stadium and then up and around the oval and back.  At the end, I noticed I was at 2.5 miles and decided to finish with an even 3 miles. 

Along the way, I listened to music and stopped a couple to times to take pictures for the Slow Runners Club.  My MO was slow and easy.  Despite the MO, I just uploaded my Garmin workout and see that my miles were 10:23, 10:20, and 10:20.  That's crazy.  There are hills on that route and I've been a flat track runner for several months.  I stopped the clock when asking passersby to take pics, but I wasn't winded and I didn't need to stop for recovery.  Also, I didn't walk any of the distance.  The watch shows 3 miles in 31:04.  Interesting.  Perhaps my base is 3 miles right now?

Since I intended to go out for a short, easy 2 mile run, I decided not to wear my Lymphedema glove.  I doubted my hands would get too warm, which is a factor for causing swelling.  Although I ran a little longer than planned, I was glad to see my hand didn't swell any more than it's usually slightly swollen state. 

When I got home, Ken surprised me by giving me my new Lymphedma glove.  It was supposed to go to the physical therapy place so we could check the fit, but I was glad to see it at home.  I'm not sure I love it as much as I thought I would, though.  A few of the fingers are a little long.  Also, it has a palm pad  and I'm pretty sure we decided to skip that on this version.  And lastly, I'm worried the band is too tight just below my wrist.  I'll wear it off and on for a few days until my appointment on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment