Thursday, February 24, 2011

9 miles and sore back

I don't have time to write much tonight because I need to pack for the 3 day swim meet that starts tomorrow morning, early.  We'll be at Regional Championships Friday morning, Friday evening, Saturday morning, Saturday evening, Sunday morning, and Sunday evening.  Both kids are swimming each day.  I'll be officiating the whole meet.  Ken will be managing our kids, tracking times, offering encouragement, and handling logistics.

Since the meet is in Worthington and we'll have 3 and 4 hour breaks between preliminaries and finals, we decided to get a hotel suite with 2 bedrooms and a kitchen.  We got a great deal and will be close to all the swim action.  I think the hotel will make it special and fun and I'm really looking forward to having a place to crash between sesssions.

I scheduled my weekly long run for today because I'll be too busy to do it this weekend.  So tonight after work I put in 9 miles.  I planned to do 8, but was able to squeak out another mile at the end.  Since I was an overachiever, you're probably thinking I was handling the run pretty well.  Not really.  My lower back was very tight and painful after mile 3.  I stopped a couple of times to stretch it (on the clock), and that helped for a half mile or so before it would work its way back (no pun intended) where it was before.  It's pretty sore even now as I sit in the desk chair.

Overall, I'm pleased with my run, though.  I actually did the scheduled long distance and then some.  My miles were 10:37, 10:32, 10:13, 10:48, 11:43, 11:02, 10:20, 10:17, and 12:06.  I walked about 1 minute of every mile except the last mile during which I walked 3 minutes.  My overall time for 9 miles was 1:37:42.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, just catching up......great that you did the 9 miles. You really are amazing. It is one thing to do training with time on your hands, but to get the training in with all you have going on is fantastic. The Poco Loco guys are going to be very impressed and you will definitely be able to go the distance with them in April. Go get 'em Kelly.

    ReplyDelete