Thursday, January 7, 2010

Recovery time . . . or not

So I'm behaving like it's recovery time.  Like I'm through it all and now it's time to reclaim my body, my activity, my crazy schedule, myself. 

Today I even used shoveling snow for an hour as my workout.  It was really, dry, powdery snow and not at all heavy, so don't worry.  I just took the shovel and took care of the driveway and sidewalks.  Then, because I was enjoying being out there and the snow was coming down quite a bit while I was shoveling, I did it all again.  There was about 3 inches the first time and just a dusting the second time.  I even toyed with going for a run because it was great out.  However, Jason had a friend over and I couldn't leave them unsupervised.  Besides, the hour of shoveling was an okay workout; not overly aerobic or challenging, but it got me moving.  I'm starting to be more generous with what I consider a workout.

Anyway, I opened this post by noting that I'm behaving like it's time to make everything go back to normal. I'm acting like I need to push this rehab thing and then it will all be over. Yet I know that's not quite true.  I read Beth's blog today and I'm going to quote part of it here because I know some of you don't really follow the links.  (Ha, ha!  Caught you!  You blew right by that link, didn't you?)  Beth is referencing a friend of hers who is also going through breast reconstruction and she's a few months ahead of us in the process.  Yesterday she had surgery to replace her expanders with the real implants.  Beth got to see her and below is her subsequent blog post:
She looked wiped out and was in some pain. She said her expanders had started to separate and so he had to stitch her up on the inside to keep the implants closer together, ouch. She did say however that this pain was nothing compared to last time, thank God. I am nervous, already. I hate to go through this again, to be completely useless for a week and then the physical restrictions for another 3 weeks and no running yet again for 8 weeks.
I know all this is true. It will also happen to me. It's required. I have to go back and have surgery and lose all this progress I'm making. I guess I'm just in denial right now. I want to be back. For good. Now.

1 comment:

  1. You ARE back Kelly and you are experiencing how tenacious and driven you are in recovery. All is very confirming of your ability to integrate exercise "creatively" into your day, be inspirational to family and friends, and lead at work .... all great preparation for the next recovery and all those recoveries from mountain climbing/ running /kayaking with Ken later : - ).

    ReplyDelete