Sunday, January 3, 2010

Track workout

We're back in Ohio now and back to the schedule we used to keep.  I took the kids to swimming this afternoon at 1pm and I went to RPAC and ran and walked on the indoor track.  I ran 1.5 miles, walked a lap (1/8 mile), ran another half mile, and then walked several more.  So 2 miles running in all, but had a little break in there.  I ran the first mile in 10:45 but I'm not sure about the split mile (probably 11 minutes of running time). 

The RPAC track is where I did much of my speed and tempo training for the Race for the Cure 5K in 2007.  My body is speedy at 10 minute miles, mind you, so remember that speed is all relative.  However, I remember running some sprints at at 8:30 pace and tempos at under 10.  For the race, I met my goal by running it in under 30 minutes.  Getting back on that indoor track was very inspiring.  I also switched from podcasts back to music for this workout and used my new playlist, that I called Strong. 

It was great listening to songs on my running playlists from the last few years.  The songs were upbeat and motivational and made me feel great about being there running.  I only faltered a little and got weepy when one song reminded me "life’s like an hourglass, glued to the table."  I've always love the lyrics to that song by Anna Nalick called Breathe (2am).  The song is about not being able to turn back time and I guess this is the first time I've listened to it that I actually wished I could turn back time.  And a little later a guy started running on the track ahead of me (well, actually everyone was ahead of me at some point) and his shirt had "Return to Glory" on the back.  Now, I'm not delusional enough to ever think I was glorious in any capacity, certainly not running.  However, I was running my last half mile and struggling and his shirt reminded me of how far I've slipped.  That hurt too.

After my track workout, I tried to do some stretching like I used to do while there.  I got a mat out and put it next to the railing.  Ooooo.  Then I learned that I'm a rock star at running right now compared to my ability to stretch.  I had no idea my arms had anything to do with some of the stretching I did.  I was mistaken. 

My favorite stretch involves laying on my back and reaching behind me to hold on to the railing while I use my abs to pull my body straight up.  It stretched my neck and back better than any stretch I've found.  Then I would put my legs against the railing and walk my feet down toward my head and get a great hamstring and glute stretch too.

So I got on my back on the ground (with a wince).  Then my right arm was raring to go and got in position, but I realized my left arm couldn't come close.  Well, no problem.  I used to be able to do this with just my index fingers on the railing.  I don't really use my arms much.  So I'll do it one handed.  Uh. No.  Okay, how about if I sit up and rock back and forth and use momentum to get my legs up in the air above me.  Yes, that worked.  But then I was stuck.  My back wasn't really stretching and I couldn't get in a position that would let my legs walk down toward my head.  So I rolled back down (wincing again). 

I tried a few other stretches and basically learned that yoga won't be possible yet.  My left arm is needed for so many stretches and it just is not at all ready to do any such thing.  I thought I was doing okay, but that arm is really going to be a problem for rehab.  I've been compensating with the right arm and haven't noticed how bad it was.  Now I know. 

So I sound all whiny, but I don't mean to be that way.  Those short stumbles aside, I had "a great day at the track."  I was there for an hour and then retrieved the kids from swimming and came home and started the major task of cleaning.  Ick.  We haven't even scratched the surface and Ken has been cleaning the entire day.  Val and I joined him shortly after 3pm and are giving up now that it's night time. 

I start work tomorrow.  I have no idea how that will go.  I'm going into a very challenging time with some new responsibilities and roles and so I'm hoping my energy will sustain me and help me succeed. 

Beth is really starting off the new year with a bang!  Three miles all at one time.  Keep up the great work, Beth.  You're amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment