Thursday, January 28, 2010

May wins

Another milestone.  Decisions made. The doctor, Ken, and I agreed to a May surgery date and they will order 2 or 3 different sizes of implants. The size they use in surgery is dependent on what works best/looks best in the operating room. I don't have the surgery date scheduled yet (that happens behind the scenes), but someone will be calling me soon with a date that is close to, but not before May 15. 

I still hadn't decided on the date during the drive to the appointment, and even while waiting for it. When the doctor asked when, I said mid-April or mid-May.  He was happy to hear about May and said the extra time would give the pocket more time to stabilize. So we went with May.

Although he had a crazy busy day, the surgeon took the time to tell me he is very pleased with where we are in the process and then he was almost giddy at the lower placement and evenness of what I have going on with the expanders. His reaction was very comforting. Maybe I'll be that 1 in 50 before/after pics that is not too bad.

So, assuming I don't have any other health issues or injuries, I'll be running the Race for the Cure on May 15, 2010. In talking with Ken about it, he says he and the kids will try to run it too and that it would be good for all of us to try. We'll start training soon. Want to join us?

I ran at RPAC again tonight but wasn't really up for it. Ran 3 miles a little slower than I did the 5K distance on Tuesday. I had lots of excuses to put off the running tonight (a small fill - last one!, medication, time available tomorrow), but I ran anyway. Making progress on consistency.  The knee was whining but not affecting gait much, if any.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Kelly and Ken. Sounds like May makes the most sense and it will be great for you and the kids to train for the run together. Sounds like the appointment went very well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're happy with the May date. So after I run the 5K with you, you'll do a tri with us this fall? ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome, Kel! So glad you are going to be able to do the race -- I'll be rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete