Sunday, January 10, 2010

Five days forward, two days back

First the good news.  I had a tough workout today.  I went to RPAC again, this time with the whole family but none of them were crazy enough to follow me to the 4th floor track.  Good thing, too.  It wasn't pretty.  I went 4 miles again (10:22, 12:56, 13:07, 13:04) .  This time I completed it in 49:48 and only walked 6 of the 32 laps.  On Tuesday, I did a similar workout in 54 minutes and walked 13 of the 32 laps.  

After the workout I felt like I ran a half marathon and my body was reacting that way too.  It took probably 5 minutes to slow down my breathing and return back to normal.  I was hurting.  Not hurting, hurting.  Just hurting in the sweaty kind of way.   

I also ate pretty well today and my left side has not been nearly as sore this weekend. 

The bad news is that I returned to the dark side on Friday and Saturday, after only 5 days of trying to lose weight.  I didn't exercise either day and I ate . . . well, everything.  I had M&Ms and cookies and popcorn - even a personal pizza at the movies.  I made the mistake of stepping on the scale and then got depressed and gave up.  It's just too far to go.  Of course it was the middle of the day and I was clothed, but still it was beyond depressing.  I stepped on it first thing this morning, right out of a shower and it was not as bleak.  It's amazing what a difference 2 pounds can make in my outlook, especially since it's nothing compared to the 20 I need to drop.  I think I'll stay off the scale for awhile.  It's a portkey to the dark side which is populated with sweets and carbs and couches, oh my. 

We went to the movies Saturday night and saw The Blind Side, the story of Michael Oher (pernounced like my name, Orr), a homeless boy who becomes a first round draft pick in the NFL.  It was Jason and Val's first PG13 movie and Jason was especially impressed with that.  I liked it a lot and found it very inspirational.  I'm also reading a book about a person who walks around the world (a colleague lent the book to me and I really like it).  Maybe the combination of those inspiring stories, anger at my fall from eating/exercising grace, and relief the scale actually shows 2 pounds lighter got me back on track for losing some pounds.  Or at least making a decent effort at doing so.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you getting back to RPAC and doing your 4 miles.....and for not getting dizzy with 8 laps per mile : - ). and don't worry about Friday/Saturday eating....everyone who sees that movie gets "blind sided" by something. Hang in there.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so feel your pain with the weight thing. Keep it up. I figure one of these days, all my hard work (or mediocre work) will show up on the scale. four miles. wow!

    ReplyDelete