Sunday, May 30, 2010

Yoga, kinda

Today I tried yoga.  Yea, I know, I can't move my arms like that.  So I guess I did modified yoga.  Ken and the kids got me some yoga DVDs for Mother's Day and I just got a chance to try one out.  I couldn't do 90% of it correctly, but I did what I could given my extremely limited flexibility (all over) and my doctor's orders.  I couldn't do anything that required my arms to support my weight since I weigh more than a gallon of milk.  I was able to get a great leg workout and a passable core workout though and was on the mat for about an hour.  I know it was a good workout because I was sweating even though I was in the basement, the coolest part of the house.

Day 2 of South Beach Diet
Breakfast: 1 over medium egg and 1 avocado
Lunch: rollup with ham, cheese, and lettuce, and a handful of nuts
Snack: a couple pieces of turkey lunchmeat
Dinner: lean steak with blue cheese and a lettuce/spinach/cucumber salad with hummus as dressing
Drinks: water and Perrier throughout the day

It seems I've fallen into a habit on these surgery recovery days.  After dinner, I find myself rushing out for my walk to beat nightfall (which I never do).  The same thing happened today.  It was fully dark before I got home.

Tonight I walked 3.45 miles, including the cool down. I didn't have any podcasts downloaded, so I listened to a "relaxed run" playlist. I know I run faster to music than to podcasts, I guess I walk faster to music, too.  My full miles were 16:36, 15:47, and 15:17.  The 5K was about 49:00.  The last third of a mile I stretched some, tried to shake out my legs, and did some high steps to loosen my hips.

Wow, isn't this incredibly different than the recovery involved in my previous surgery?  It was almost a month before I could walk/run 3 miles after the mastectomy.  Now it's 5 days after the implant surgery and I didn't find 3.45 to be difficult at all.  Of course, I can't run yet.  When I had the expanders in, I was cleared to run after 3 weeks.  It's a 6 week running moratorium for the implants.  I put the countdown gadget at the top of my blog last night, hopefully it will work.  I believe the magical date is July 6.

It's ironic that for the previous surgery I was allowed to run after 3 weeks, but I wasn't in any shape to run even a full mile.  And now that I'm itching to go and I know I could run, I'm not allowed.  Oh well.  I know it's for my own good.  The doc and I have the same goal and I'll continue to follow his rules.

1 comment:

  1. I tried yoga too, but had a little trouble, kept getting fruit on my bottom...... maybe I used the wrong kind : - ). Okay, enough bad humor.... actually, yoga is very good for running..... the fexibility, core, and breathing can have direct benefit. Hey, by the way, your walking pace is approaching your running pace..... thought that you would like to know before you blew a gasket or something : - ).

    ReplyDelete