Thursday, May 20, 2010

Surgery on Tuesday

I'm having some challenging times at work - just the typical too much to do, too much for my staff to do, some relationship/trust issues among staff, etc.  But it was getting to me today. 

Luckily I found time to run while Val was at swimming and Jason at baseball.  I ran 2 miles (10:40 and 10:45) and then walked another mile and a quarter.  Afterward, I had a delightful meal with Val at China Dynasty.  She's at a really neat age and I was able to learn much about her recent Outdoor Ed overnight experience with her class.  It sounds like a great program despite the fact that they were outside in the rain for two days.  She had a great time anyway.

After dinner, I came home and mowed the lawn for an hour.  Being outside in the beautiful weather and exercising helped me put things back in perspective and hopefully I'll be able to get it all in some sense of order tomorrow and Monday. 

Tuesday is my second surgery, the reconstruction.  The cancer was gone after the first surgery, so this surgery is at the plastic surgeon's office (not the hospital) and is outpatient.  Incredible.  They will take out the expanders and put in a new type of silicone implant that does not seep even if punctured. The doctor says it keeps it's shape even if cut in half.  So I guess I can focus on more important things than seeping silicone if my chest is inadvertantly cut in half. That's comforting. No doubt there will be more pressing matters in that event.

Seriously, Beth says this surgery isn't nearly as tough as the bilateral mastectomy.  The doctor estimates two weeks out of work, but my research leads me to believe I may be off meds within days, not weeks.  If that is the case, I might be able to work from home the second week. 

1 comment:

  1. I will be thinking of you on Tuesday Kelly. I know this surgery will go well and pretty soon this is all going to be behind you. Keep looking ahead- looking forward to all of the wonderful things yet to come! Please let me know if you need anything while you are home. I am just minutes away!

    ReplyDelete