Saturday, May 15, 2010

Race Day!

What a perfect day for the Race for the Cure!

My 5K race report:  ran a little faster than expected at 34:04 and miles at 10:49; 10:32, and 10:49.  Carried my own water bottle and got a bit warm in compression shorts, shorts, and my survivor tshirt. 

Valerie and Michelle's report:  ran the first mile without walking.  Then they walked much of the second mile.  I doubled back and caught up with them with about 1/4 mile to go, so I ran to the finish line with them.  They finished in 44:46.  Michelle said Val would have run more of the race if she had mile markers along the way.  Once they saw the finish line, they ran probably a 9 minute mile pace the last 1/4 mile, I stuggled to stay on their heals.

Walker race report:  Then I doubled back again and took a short cut to catch up with the walker group when they were almost half done with the 5K.  Ken, his parents, Jennifer, Kayla, Molly, and a couple of their friends walked the race, but I have no idea of their time.  While we were walking with them, I looked at my Garmin and it clocked the walk pace very slow, over 20 minute miles.  Jan said it might have been easier to walk it faster, but it was jam packed in the walker wake. 

Jason's race report:  Jason walked the first half of the 5K with the walkers.  After I joined the group, he and I walked together for awhile holding hands and it was great.  Just after the half way point, I convinced Jason to run/walk with me the rest of the way, so we left the walker group and ran on the grass/sidewalk until the sea of humanity opened up a bit when we turned on High street.  Then we weaved in and out of people while we ran.  I didn't track our pace or progress, but I'd guess we ran as much time as we walked.  And I had to constantly tell Jason to slow down so I didn't lose him because I couldn't run nearly as quickly.  He was probably running a 9 min mile pace weaving in and out of people.  That was quite a challenge for me!

I know Nate ran it solo but I don't know when he crossed the finish line.  He started quite a bit behind me and finished quite a bit earlier.  He's 14 and quite a soccer player.  Jen said he ran 7 miles at one soccer practice for conditioning.  Impressive!

Again, a HUGE thank you to everyone who walked/ran and supported us with donations.  Our total raised by Kelly Kicked it is now up to $1,795. 

If you walked or ran today (or any day), use the comments button below to add your own race report.  I'd love to see them all!!!  You can login with a Google account or just put in your comment anonymously. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the team did great as well as their leader! Way to go Kelly and team.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all...sounds like an amazing day :)So awesome that Val and Jason finished it!!
    Love to all, Susan

    ReplyDelete