Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring, shoes, and scheduling classes

Spring is here!  OK, not yet, but it sure felt like it today.  It was lower 50s and sunny so I ran outside in my neighborhood wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and sunglasses.  I also wore my new running shoes.  I'm an Adidas person - I love my Adidas Adizero Tempo, but the new version of that shoe is too deep in the forefoot and toe and I couldn't buy it.  So I picked up the Adidas Supernova Glide at my local running store.  I've only run in them once, but so far, so good.  I may go online and look for some old tempos for races, though, because they are a "faster" shoe and I've really loved them.

I ran exactly what I had scheduled today:  7 miles, alternating slow and fast miles.  Although my Garmin reports that I ran 7 miles in 1:12:41, it's a little misleading because I was off the clock several times after completing the mile loop (talked to Ken when he got home, ditto for Jason, got more water, etc.).  My mile splits are accurate, however:  10:34, 8:56, 11:38, 8:53, 11:45, 9:01, and 11:40.  I was really pushing hard on the fast miles and needed significant recovery time.  During the slow miles, I walked several times during the mile to facilitate recovery and to be ready for the next fast burst. 

I spent about 30 minutes stretching after the run.  My lower back and glute were tight on the right side before I ran, so I did a little stretching before the run and between miles, too. 

I'm also having some issues with blisters on a toe and the bottom of my foot, but these were issues prior to trying the new shoes. I've been putting Vaseline between my toes (thanks for the tip, Jim!) and that seems to keep it from causing pain or breaking.  I'm also trying to be shoeless Kelly around the house so my toe gets lots of air. The blister still fills up whenever I run, though.

Tonight we need to determine Val's classes for 8th grade.  This is important because beginning next year, some of her classes will apply toward high school credits and will be on her transcript.  I can't believe that's starting already!  Unfortunately, scheduling is pretty much up to the child and parents.  The school provides guidance at a big parent meeting for an hour this evening and with handouts, but I wish it was more hands-on and individually focused.  The handouts didn't even mention that most colleges require 3 years of foreign language - this was an aside comment the principal made during the presentation.  I'm glad I was paying attention!  Val hadn't planned to take foreign language.

I got some good news at the parent meeting, though.  Val won't have to take physical education (PE) in 8th grade or high school because she will have at least 2 seasons of a high school sport or marching band.

No comments:

Post a Comment