Sunday, March 20, 2011

11 miles in 1:59:21!

What an encouraging long run today!  I ran 11 miles in 1:59:21!  I'm sore and tight, but I could have run another 2.1 miles to make the run a full half marathon (13.1 miles).  I would have done so, too, if it weren't for Val's softball team family meeting tonight.  That's okay.  I was scheduled to run 11 and I did it in very good form.

I did some walking, but not on a regular schedule.  I walked a little each mile, but never a full minute.  I walked up most of the hills to save my legs and energy, though.  I also consumed 2 strawberry banana GU gels along the way.  I took one at mile 6-ish and one at mile 9-ish. According to my Garmin, my average mile pace was 10:50 today. That's incredible for me!  The mile splits were 11:11, 10:53, 10:51, 10:28, 10:26, 10:21, 11:22, 10:39, 11:16, 11:08 and 10:37.

In the middle of the run, when my pace sped up a bit, I found myself chugging along on momentum and it felt like I was expending less energy than usual to get further.  That was a really great feeling and I knew it would help me get through this long run.  The weather helped, too.  It was mostly cloudy and about 60 degrees F while I was out there.  I listened to the Slow Runners Club while running and zenrunner and eddiemarathon helped distract me from the run and made the time fly.

Today must have been THE day for great long runs.  Steverunner ran a full marathon (26.2 miles) for his long run today.  Like me, he has been struggling with his training, so I'm sure it was a great pick-me-up run for him, too.  Congrats, Steve!

1 comment:

  1. You and Steve did great Kelly. You both work hard and have had some moments where you were having doubts about going the distance. Sounds like this weekend, you both got confirmation that you still have it : - ). Very cool to be able to share the struggle and get support and motivation from some very talented friends. Go get'em Kelly.

    ReplyDelete