Friday, March 18, 2011

More than a little crazy

I've gone crazy! I just realized that I'm running 3 events in 3 weeks this Spring.  Since I rarely run more than 2 or 3 in a year, this is certainly out of character!

On April 30th, I'll be running the Boston Poco Loco with steverunner, eddiemarathon and zenrunner from Slow Runners Club, runswim2 (renowned for punny blog comments), and several other runners, podcasters, and bloggers.  Two teams will run ~6 miles up either side of the Charles river where we'll meet and webcast a live halftime show.  Then we'll run back (~6 miles) to our cars and head out for a celebration party/dinner at a local pub near Harvard Square.  I'll look for Car Talk's Tappet Brothers while I'm there! 

One week later, on May 7, I'll be limping through the Capital City Half Marathon in Columbus.  Way back in December, I thought this sounded like a good idea since I had to train to run 13 miles for the Poco Loco anyway.  Now I'm wondering if I was more than a little crazy in my thinking (or lack thereof). 

A mere week after the half marathon is my annual Komen Columbus Race for the Cure 5K.  For 6 or 7 consecutive years, I've run the Race for the Cure in honor of my friend Cathy Cooper who lost her battle with breast cancer. Last year I also ran as a survivor myself.  Join our team (Kick it with Kelly) or contribute to the cause by donating in our team's name.  Ken and Jason will be leading the 5K Kick it with Kelly walking group.  Valerie and I will be running in the 5K chip-timed group.  Ken's sister, Michelle was asking about coming too (actually, she reminded me to sign up!), so I expect her to join the team in the next day or so.  Thanks for kicking my butt to get registered, Michelle!  Please join us in this wonderful, inspirational event.

So, yes, I'm participating in running events three weeks in a row!  I know I'm breaking so many running rules with this schedule.  Oh well, as with pirates, the rules for runners are really more like guidelines anyway.  I'm sure the injury gremlins will take pity and allow me my excesses just this once.

As for my training for all these events . . . well, it's going okay.  So far, I've put in 12 miles this week: 3 on Monday, 7 on Wednesday, and 2 today (10:15 and 10:11).  I hope to run 10 or 11 more miles on Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. All I did was ask an innocent question :-) Of course I'll run with you again. I promised Val after she and I ran together last year that I'd do it with her every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Kelly! Very impressive. I will use the "guidelines" excuse for my reason for NOT running today :) Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete