Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Clean carpet on which to stretch sore muscles

Yesterday I put in an easy 3 miles, trying to work out my sore muscles from my great long run on Sunday. My miles were 10:47, 11:02, and 11:25 for a total of 34:52. I walked some of every mile and even stopped to stretch a bit on the clock.

Today I was still feeling some calf and IT band soreness. I debated postponing my scheduled run because another day of recovery would be smart. Also, I simply wasn't in the mood for a 6 mile run with 4 of it at tempo. However, in the end, the weather forecast forced my hand, or my legs, I guess.  Tomorrow the high will be 20 degrees F cooler with a wind chill even more intimidating. So I decided to take advantage of the relatively good weather and run this evening.

My run was pretty good, especially considering my attitude going in to it. I ran 6 miles in 1:03:04 with splits at 11:38, 10:13, 9:55, 9:45, 9:35, and 11:51. I successfully completed the scheduled 4 mile tempo run with a mile warm up and cool down. I walked several times in the first and last miles and a couple of times during the 4 mile tempo when I felt my back and hips tightening enough to alter my stride.  Chris Russell kept me company with his Run Run Live podcast.

Now my calves are very sore and getting worse by the hour. So, I'm going to stretch a bit and relax on my professionally cleaned carpet.  I have the most wonderful husband in the world! He surprised me today by getting the carpet cleaned. The dirty and stained carpet has been driving me crazy.  Now I can go Zen.

1 comment:

  1. Great job with the carpet Ken! and you have some super traing partners from Poco Loco.... Very cool to have experienced runners to learn from and motivate you. Relax and enjoy that carpet.....Zen away : - ).

    ReplyDelete