Sunday, April 11, 2010

Vacation

We're back from Florida and into the craziness of life right away.  I don't know why I thought it was great we'd have the weekend to recover before going back to the craziness on Monday.  It all started the minute we landed, really.

I was frustrated that I couldn't get out for a run yesterday and then today I had a TERRIBLE time forcing myself out there and an equally terrible time getting started and another equally terrible time running.  One of those days I guess. 

But let's catch up with the training log - blog is short for web log, after all.  So here's what I've put in since last writing.

Monday, I ran 5 miles, some of it on the beach.  The miles were 11:51, 11:38, 11:46, 11:43, and 11:09.  Then I walked a half mile as cool down, but I never cooled down.  It was HOT.  I actually had a 5 minute break between mile 4 and 5 where I walked in the shade a bit and went into the great Mexican restaurant and begged them to fill up my water bottle.  They took pity on me, thank goodness. 

Wednesday, I ran 2.8 miles at Disney. I actually ran at the Disney Caribbean resort on the 1.4 (which my Garmin measured at 1.5) track around the lake.  I kept thinking about Gordon at runtodisney who sends submissions into the Extra Mile Podcast I listen to occasionally.  I just looked at Gordon's blog and his submission to the Daily Mile which outlines his journey from dangerously unhealthy to a marathon man.  I am so impressed with his weight loss process and successes.  Go Gordon!  I'm doing terribly in that area.  I really packed on the pounds this year and haven't been able to stay committed to doing anything about it.  I do the depressed-so-I-eat  . . . eat-so-I get depressed cycle.  It's stupid.  Makes no sense.  It's not unlike the TV show about hoarders that I saw on TLC last night.  Scary stuff.  Obsessive behavior.  However, not unlike eating junk when I know it is sabotaging what I need to feel good and meet my goals.  Yet, I do it anyway.  Maybe reading Gordon's story will help me get out of that cycle.  It certainly is motivating.

After the Disney run, I didn't get to run again until today, Sunday.  As I already mentioned, it was tough getting out there and even once I got out there, I couldn't get into the swing of things. So I walked about 2 miles first at about a 17:30 pace.  Then I came back in and got more water (the hot weather followed us from Florida back to Ohio) and went back out again.  I ran 2 miles at 11:04 and 10:42 and then gave up trying to run.  I just couldn't get into it.  To atone for my sorry attempt at exercise, I spent the next hour behind the lawn mower adding more mileage walking.

Tomorrow I go back to work.  I wish I could say I'll ease back into things, but none of the work goes away when I go on vacation, so I get to work harder the week before and a few weeks after to keep above water.  I got a Blackberry right before I left so while I was out, I was able to delete junk messages and "copy" messages that didn't require any response on my part. It was easy to do that while in the car or doing something that required waiting - a good use of time, I think.  I hate waiting.

Overall, the vacation was great.  The kids were fantastic and had lots of fun when with family at Treasure Island and when we were at Disney.  I also enjoyed our time at Treasure Island and even surprised myself by enjoying Magic Kingdom, despite not being a ride or character person. I really liked the water ride and went on several of the attractions that weren't roller coasters.  I also got enough down time to be able to run and read 2 fiction books. I didn't do any work outside of getting my Blackberry to work and clearing out "no work required" emails.  Ken got to go fishing on the gulf and also enjoyed the time with family and sharing Disney with the kids.

The next big event for me is the Race for the Cure.  Join our team and walk or run with us!  It's Saturday, May 15, 2010.  Valerie is looking for a friend to stick with her during the race (preferably a soccer playing friend or another swimmer).  She will try to run as much of it as she can but plans to walk frequently.  Ken and Jason will walk/run it (probably equal amounts of distance with each).  I hope Michelle will stick with me and we can run the thing.  Tom will walk it.  I haven't seen Holly since she joined the group so I'm not sure if she'll hang with us or go it alone.  Anyone else want to join us?  Take a look at the middle part of this older blog post to learn how to join the team. 

My next surgery is May 25, 2010 when I get the expanders out (Alleluia) and the implants in.

No comments:

Post a Comment