Friday, April 23, 2010

Good thing Ken wasn't there!

It's a very good thing Ken wasn't at our softball game tonight.

It was a fairly typical game for our team.  In addition to a lineup of solid men players, we have some cracker jack women on our team.  I think I'm the only one who didn't play ball in college.  Our bats were a little slow compared to usual, but we were still up 3-0, 5-0, 5-0, 8-1, etc.  So the game wasn't tight at all. 

I was up to bat 3 times and got on base twice.  I used someone else's bat and really liked it, it was a little lighter than mine, a 24/33, I think.

I played 2nd the whole game but didn't have much action in the field.  I missed a poorly thrown ball that I blocked with my leg and got a good bruise on the ankle/shin.  The big play I had happened when I ran to the bag, received a throw from shortstop, got the guy out . . . and then got blind-sided and run over by the guy.  He was out and didn't bail to the side as required by the rules.  I didn't even think it was close. He was out a good second or two before he hit the bag.  He hit me and I went down hard but didn't drop the ball.  I came up mad, showed everyone the ball still in my hand and was astonished when the ump still called the guy safe.  I was furious.  I let everyone know I was unhappy and others agreed.  The runner even tried to leave the bag for the dugout.  I chewed him out pretty well for running me over and he apologized several times.  Even the ump apologized at the end of the game saying he missed the call. 

I really wish that event had happened the first inning of the game because all my jitters and doubts were gone with that adrenaline rush and I wanted to hit the ball hard and throw it hard and get everyone out who gave me half a chance.  I was mad and ready to play.  And then the game ended.  Grrrrrr.

Most, if not all, of my fellow team members had heard of my cancer or surgery from our coach or from me at the beginning of the game as I was fielding (pun intended) questions about how I was doing.  So all were concerned that I was okay from getting plowed over.  I assured them I was fine, just really ticked. 

If Ken had been there, he would have been beyond ticked.  When I was younger (probably not even 30), stronger, and much healthier, he was all over some guy for running me over.  He wasn't physical, but got in his face and told him what he thought of big guys who run over women in co-rec games.  Now that he's seen me be much more fragile, I'm sure he'd be even more incensed.  It's a good thing he wasn't there today.

As for me, I'm writing this all right after I got home, so I've still got the adrenaline going on, but I think I'm okay other than that.  I've got that bruise on my ankle that will not be pretty (my fault) and my other calf has a scrape from being flattened by the runner, but it's nothing unusual for me after a softball or volleyball game.  Getting a little beat up is part of the game. 

I'm really glad I wrote in the blog yesterday.  Otherwise, Ken or others might be blaming my current expander issues with my slam to the ground.  But all seems about the same as yesterday, I am annoyed and a little nauseous when the ports make themselves known under my skin.  That is happening much more frequent now.  And I'm noticing more movement and pliability.

When I made the surgery date decision, the expanders weren't really much of an issue and I felt I could deal with them indefinitely.  Now I believe that it's not "the longer they are in the better" as the doc said.  Instead, I think early/mid April would have been a great time to switch these gals out.  Oh well.  Hind sight and all.  In one month they will be out.  Just 4 weeks and 4 days. 

In the meantime, I won't be sitting around waiting, either.  I'm really, really busy at work and have taken on some extra responsibilities between now and my surgery date.  It's good that I'm doing it all and I like the work, it's just a bit more time-consuming when I'm already strapped for time.  And I'm trying to figure out how I might be able to go to Nebraska for Lee Ann's graduation on May 7/8.  And the Race for the Cure is May 15.  If you want to run or walk with our team, go to our team site and join us!  If not, consider making a donation and become part of the solution for Valerie and her generation.

Jason had a game tonight too.  I'll get a full game report when he and Ken return in the next hour or so.  I hope he didn't get beat up like me.  And I hope he did a lot better in the field and at bat.  I'm sure he did.  He's a very good 9U (9 and under) player and he's got a star player dad helping to coach him.  Oooops, Ken just called and I'm going to meet him and Jason at BW3s now.  I'll have to decide whether to share the story or wait until he reads the blog and I'm out of earshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment