Friday, April 16, 2010

Play Ball!

I played softball yesterday.  Well, kinda.  I helped with Val's practice.  It was 4th, 5th, and 6th graders and Val did really well at all drills: pitching, outfield flies, infield, and base running.  I brought a chair and my glove, not knowing which way it would go for me.  Early on, I noticed one assistant coach didn't have a catcher for grounder practice, so I got my glove and went out. 

I caught incoming throws for him for about 20 minutes and then we split up into 3 groups.  He asked one assistant coach, "Do you pitch?"  She said "no way."  He asked me, "Do you?"  I said "not fast pitch" and he said. "You're a pitcher."  The end.  I pitched batting practice the next hour. 

The head coach knows of my surgeries and plight and kept checking in on me, first ensuring I was okay with pitching.  Very cool guy.  I was okay.  Actually, I did pretty well.  Met the goal.  Pitched an "all-hitter."

Today I'm a little sore in many places including rear, traps, shoulder blades, and right pec.  All muscle issues because I haven't been using my upper body muscles nearly as much as I used to (prior to surgery).  None of the soreness is due to expanders or the stitches holding them in place.  That's great news.

Ken and I have a softball team and our first game is next Friday.  I figured I could play for awhile if they need me (until my May 25 surgery), but Ken wonders if I can twist to swing.  I hadn't thought of that.  I don't swing much when I bat anyway.  I walk about 1/3 of the time.  The rest of the time, I swing if required and about 1/15th of the time I get a good solid hit that gets me on base and no one else out.  I'm at the bottom of the order, obviously.  They keep me around because I'm a pretty good 2nd base and have a good attitude, I think.

Jason is playing travel baseball this year and is doing great.  He's a top player on his team and would be even better if we could get him some confidence in his hitting.  He got hit with the ball twice last week and is now very nervous about hitting.  The hits didn't take him out of the game and didn't stop him from his great defense playing, so I know he'll get over it soon and get on with whacking the ball out there again.  He's a tough kid, and a great athlete.  Go Jason! 

No comments:

Post a Comment