Monday, April 19, 2010

Running and connecting

I thought all was fine after softball practice on Thursday evening, but Friday night and Saturday I learned that I was ridiculously sore in my thighs, lats, calves, rear, and probably many other places I forget to mention. Ken purchased a Altus foam roller on my legs on Friday night and it was true torture, but very effective.  I could barely walk on Friday night and was obviously limited in motion for any movement, especially sitting. 

After my torture treatment, I was able to run on Saturday morning, but I started slow and loosened up along the way.  I ran a 5K in 35 minutes.  My miles were 12:09, 11:40, and 10:31.  Then I had to hurry back in the house where I took a 3 minute shower and was at Jason's soccer game in less than 30 minutes after my run was complete.  Impressive, for a long, hot shower kind of person like me.  Of course, then I tightened up as I sat through that soccer game and then a baseball game later in the afternoon.  It was cold outside too, so that didn't help.  I assisted with Val's softball practice at 7pm, though and loosened up a little as I ran and shagged balls.

Sunday I should have run, but didn't.

Today (Monday - the day of the Boston Marathon), I ran in support of my running mentor, Jim and Steverunner.  I figure I was beginning my run about the time they were on their last stretch, so I was sending "you can do it vibes" to them.  I didn't do a marathon distance (26.2 miles), of course.  I did 3 x 1 mile (1 mile three times) and felt pretty good.

My first mile was 10:21, shortly after which I came upon a house that is due to come on the market soon and it's in a great location for my parents (and it's a ranch, the right size, right price, etc.).  So I had to stop the clock while I walked around the house and memorized the outside and address.  Nice.

Then I ran another mile, but was interrupted during that run, too (phone call by my husband).  I ran the second mile in 9:57.

My last mile was 9:48 and then I headed back into my house to shower, clean, and make dinner for some special friends who were coming by soon.

Some friends who were in the leadership program I attended in 2005 (Leading Edge) came to my house tonight for dinner and wine and conversation.  Catie, Amy, and I had a wonderful catching up with everyone's life and amazingly we all had life-changing events that took place during the past few years since we got together.  My story was actually the least traumatic of the three and we didn't even get around to it until the last 30 minutes or so.   I know I've been through a lot this year, but my story is one of victory and I know I'm on the easy side of it now.  Actually, the other women are also healing and moving on.  We all have had some significant experiences that have changed us forever.  Yet we all persevered. Yea for us!

It was a wonderful re-connecting evening and I'm so fortunate to have had this time with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment