Thursday, April 22, 2010

Serendipity

I've been having trouble making time to run lately.  I started to write that I was having trouble "finding time to run" but I know that's just excuse language.  There is always time if I make it a priority.  I guess it just hasn't been rising to the top of my list often enough.

I did get out today for a very short run, though. I ran 2.2 miles and walked a quarter mile for cool down.  Then I sat down to watch the very end of Val's softball practice.  My miles were 10:46 and 10:17. 

Baseball/softball season is in full swing now.  This is the first year in a long time that I didn't serve as Assistant Coach for Val's team.  I never played softball under a non-parent coach, so coaching softball is not second nature to me like volleyball.  This year, though, I have my breast reconstruction surgery on May 25, so I can't commit to a softball coach role.  For this first part of the season, I've been helping when they are short on coaches or if I'm sitting there and I see something I could do for them.  I always bring my glove.  Today they had the head coach and two assistants there, so stealing away to run didn't leave them empty handed. 

A strange thing happened while running today.  My breasts moved.  I've noticed that the right port location in the expander is making me a little sore when just going about my daily business.  And my breasts are starting to be more pliable. 

If you've been on the receiving end of my bounce demonstration (when people ask me about the expanders, I jump up and down to show them they don't move - even with no bra on), you'll be surprised to learn that they do move a bit now.  It was a little disconcerting to notice movement while running, especially considering that I wear a running bra per doctor's orders.  It didn't hurt while running, but it certainly distracted me initially.  After a half mile or so, it stopped or I didn't notice it anymore . . . probably the latter due to me huffing and puffing my way through the neighborhood.  I was tired and ready to stop at 1.5 miles so it's probably okay that I didn't have a long time to be out there today.

I'm playing softball on our co-ed adult team tomorrow evening, weather permitting.  Jason has an away (within 20 minutes of home) baseball game so Ken won't be playing on our adult team tomorrow.  Our coach called and asked if I could come so he can bat 12.  An even number of men and women is required.  Since we'll have an extra woman, I will probably sit out some of the innings but will most likely play 2nd base when I'm in the field.  This will be one of the few, if not the only, game I'll play this season.  After surgery, I'll be out for the rest of the season and between now and then we have lots of softball and baseball games on Friday.  Jason also has soccer practice on Fridays.

It will be weird to not play much softball this season.  I've been on this co-ed team for probably 8 years. I found them one day when we were at the kid movies in the park and I saw a man and woman in softball uniforms walking to the bathrooms.  I accosted them and asked if they played here every Friday night and they immediately invited me to join them without even a tryout.  I guess they were hard-up for women.  Since then, they have treated me very well and I've played 2nd base and pitcher for them.  Ken joined a year or two after I started.  The coach and an outfielder do commercial drop ceilings for a living and offered to do our basement as a side job.  It looks great! 

Isn't it interesting how we happen to come upon people who impact our lives?  Serendipity.   

No comments:

Post a Comment