Sunday, November 21, 2010

Swim meet

We had a very busy week and weekend.  Our first OSU-sponsored swim meet was this weekend and we were at the pool from about 11:30am to 9pm on Saturday and Sunday.  Friday we were at the Worthington pool for a relay-only swim meet from 4:30pm to 8:30pm. 

Since I officiated, I was on my feet a lot and my back has been complaining quite a bit.  I tried to run a little today before the meet and realized I couldn't/shouldn't.  My back might have loosened up if I'd kept at it, but after just a block, I decided it wasn't worth making it worse right before I had to stand on deck for 8+ hours.

The kids did very well at the meet.  Val has the advantage this year because she is 12 in the 11/12 age group.  She made it to the finals and placed (earned points for her team) in every event she swam (free, fly, breast, and IM).  She also improved most of her times.  Most notably, she took 2.5 seconds off her 50 breaststroke.

Jason is 9 in the 9/10 age group and there are 5 boys in his age group who are ranked at the state level.  And those 5 are all OSU Swim Club members (our team).  There were also state ranked boys from other clubs who attended this meet.  Very tough competition for the 9/10 boys! 

Jason beat most of his previous swim times.  His most impressive drop was almost 4 seconds on his 50 backstroke, which was already his best stroke going in to the meet.  In his back and freestyle events, only 1 or 2 nine-year-olds beat him.  Unfortunately, the meet only took the top ten 9/10 year olds for finals, so Jason did not get to swim in the finals.  He was an alternate (#11 and #12) twice, though; for the 100 IM and the 100 free.

We have to work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week and then have 24 coming for Thanksgiving on Thursday.  We'll have a crowd, but everyone is bringing something, so we should be just fine.  We're setting up 4 tables for 6 and putting the food out buffet style. 

I'm really looking forward to the long holiday weekend with no work, no swimming, no church school, and no basketball.  It will be good to get a break after such a tough week.

No comments:

Post a Comment