Sunday, March 7, 2010

Volleyball

I played volleyball tonight. The kids and I met Jeff and Jen and some soccer friends at an Easton restaurant to deliver their girl scout cookies and to catch up with them. I also went to DSW to replace my brown sketchers which broke this week. On the way home we stopped at Kroger to pick up a few things (Jeff, our store didn't have the somoa ice cream, just the thin mint), and Ken called me on my mobile. One of their women players sprained an ankle and they needed a substitute NOW.  I was about 2 miles away with groceries in the cart, but I went through the self checkout line and drove directly there.

So I showed up to play my first volleyball game in what seems like years . . . in jeans. At least I had my running shoes on (that's a long story involving a sad tale of me planning a walk and never getting it done, I don't usually wear my running shoes except to walk/run for exercise). I did quickly learn that jeans are not like knee pads, though. Ouch. I have a reflex to hit the floor with my knees first when a ball comes just out of my reach and I just can't squelch it. Each time I did it, it hurt worse, so I eventually quit being an over-achiever. 

I missed my first serve - it was pitiful. But I didn't give up. I ended up missing 2 serves during the games but I also got 5 or 6 over, so that's not too bad given that I haven't played in a long time, I haven't done ANYTHING with my arm over my head like that for a long time, and I didn't get a chance to warm up. My sets were okay. We got 5 or 6 good hits off them. I also had at least 2 good saves and two net plays (one on top of the net) that I successfully managed and kept the ball in play.  My passing wasn't that great, but I attribute at least half of that problem to the lack of knee pads.

Ken's team ended up winning the game 2 out of 3 (I got there half-way through the second match). Ken was so nice about me being there too. I got him a couple of good sets, so it was like the "good old days" when we played together several nights a week. He said I did a great job and it was wonderful to have me out there again. It was for me too. Thanks, Ken!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are a great team.....and you continue to inspire Kelly. Great to hear about you back on the volleyball court! Go get 'em Kelly and Ken.

    ReplyDelete