Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ran outside

Today was sunny and upper 30's so I was able to run outside.  Unfortunately, Val rolled her ankle at school so I couldn't get her to join me.  I ran 3 miles, but with a break between miles 1 and 2 to get water, learn to breathe again, and ensure Val wasn't keeping the ice on her ankle the entire time I was outside.  The miles were 10:41, break, 11:15, 11:04, and then I walked a half mile cool down.

The last part of the second mile, my lower back started to send warning signs and the whole last mile I was hurtin', but I didn't want to stop because I wanted to run at least two miles non-stop.  I was working hard to relax those muscles and taking deep breaths and sending the oxygen to the worst part of it on my right side.  Doing that got me through the mile, but I broke into a walk as soon as the Garmin beeped mile 3.  I tried some stretching tonight and will do more before I go to bed.  This time I think it is my hips that are tight and putting strain on my back. 

The "better fuel for my body" process (thanks Mindy!) is still going well, too. It's only been a week since I got serious about it and I'm already fitting better into my pants and have dropped 3 pounds.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, from an old runner with a few miles of training behind and in front of him : - ). Something to consider....as your legs get strong, they begin to pull where they are attached (pelvis/hips/ankles), so back pain is not unuaual. Stretching and "core" strength help. You are doing great Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress Kelly! I'm glad the Girl Scout cookies do not reside at my house, they'd be gone. I just ate my last one, ever, I hope.

    ReplyDelete