Thursday, February 25, 2010

Workout progress

I did a shorter run today.  I ran for a mile and a half, did a stretching and ab workout, and then ran an additional mile.

Mile 1 was 10:14. The half mile was at a 10:28 pace.  After the break for the stretching and ab workout, my additional mile was 10:38.

The exciting news is that I can do my upside-down ab workout and stretching thing again. I lay on my back with my arms holding a railing above my head and then tuck my knees and pull myself up until I'm basically upside down with my shoulders on the ground. Then I straighten my legs. Up and back down slowly.  I also move from the upside down position into a pike and put my feet against the railing behind my head to stretch my glutes and hamstrings. I haven't been able to do this maneuver since the surgery.

I did a quite a bit of ab work (I need it badly) and some stretching of my legs. I still can't use my arms to hold my weight, like in a pushup or a plank, actually I probably could for a little while, but I'm not sure my doc would approve. I also would probably pay for it later.

I'm probably going to pay for this workout later anyway. While running the last mile, my left breast was a bit annoyed. Well, okay, it hurt, not all the time, but a few annoying pains had me on guard and stopped me at the mile instead of continuing on for another half mile. I'm sure the pain was from stretching the expanders during the process of stretching and reaching above my head for the railing. I'm hoping the consequences of this workout aren't too troublesome, though. I need to get my core back in some semblance of shape again.

No comments:

Post a Comment