Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Evening on campus

I ran outside today on campus while the kids were at swimming. I underestimated the cold but fortunately found some gloves in my daughter's backpack and an ear band in my briefcase. I did a 5K but stopped at 2.1 miles to tie a shoe and took 2-3 minutes to catch my breath (time without motion was off the clock, so I was cheating a little). I was sucking air pretty seriously by mile 2. Actually, in the first quarter mile I didn't think I'd even make a mile with the way my breathing was immediately labored, but I got that worked out for awhile anyway. 

My miles were 10:49, 10:50, and 11:05. The 5K was 33:52 (plus 3 minutes of no moment off the clock).

I wasn't really cold with the long sleeve T, tights with shorts over them, gloves, and ear band.  However, I wasn't warm to walk. So I took off a little fast, probably to get warm. I didn't take the gloves off until after the first mile and the ear band after mile 2.

So, remember how I was complaining that my running shorts don't fit anymore? The result is that I can get less in the pockets. I started with my phone in one pocket and my keys in the other. Then I had to add gloves. They fit best in one pocket instead of trying to pry open both pockets to accept a glove. The ear band went in the waistband of my shorts when it came off.

At some point, I lost one of the gloves. After the 5K distance, I intended to walk about a half mile, but that turned into 1.5 miles of walking/running to retrace some of my steps to try to find it. No luck. Val took the news well. They were my gloves anyway, borrowed by her because hers weren't meeting the requirements for middle school. Now we both need new mid-/light-weight gloves.

After swimming, I picked up Taco Bell/Pizza Hut for the kids (they had a more healthy snack before swimming) and went into the office. I put Val and Jason in a conference room to do their homework and went to my office for about an hour where I created a document and printed 13 copies of it for an off-site meeting early tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, Val wasn't as productive as I was and she still had homework when we got home. I guess it wasn't too bad, though. She's done now and it's not 9pm yet.

3 comments:

  1. Orrrrr......(no relation : - )).....you could put both hands in the same glove. Inefficient for running, but prayerful. Looks like a shopping trip for Val and Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are just starting to enter the "we can both wear the same stuff" phase and we had the exact same glove issue occur. Fortunately, many of my clothes/ shoes/ accessories are not cool enough by her standards so I am safe for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the above I should add the caveat of "the exact same glove issue... except that I was not running a 5k". I think I was actually running from the car to the grocery store to buy some jelly donuts -- I'm way impressed that you have a legit reason for the loss :)

    ReplyDelete