Friday, February 26, 2010

Walking

I got out of a meeting early today and I was starving. Since it was mid afternoon, I didn't want to eat anything (I had a light lunch at 11am) so I thought if I worked out it might help me get past the hungry stage. I know when I'm home and tired or hungry and I go out for a run, I often get past it without resorting to taking a nap or eating too much and blowing the weight loss process.

I wished I'd brought my workout stuff so I could take advantage of the unexpected time. Then I figured that I didn't have to be so constrained. It was Friday. I was in jeans and my trail running shoes. So I decided to go to RPAC to walk around the track. However, the Big 10 Men's Swimming Champs are going on at that location and parking is at a premium, so I went to the OAC (Outdoor Adventure Center) instead. I had never been there, but it was great. OAC doesn't have a track, but they have lots of machines. I got on a treadmill and walked almost 2 miles in 30 minutes.  That got me through to 6pm when I ate dinner.  Yea!

While walking I also did some oblique work by exaggerating the twist of walking. After about 20 minutes, my sides got a bit sore where the expanders are attached under my arms, but not too bad. I'm not nearly as sore as I expected to be after doing the ab workout yesterday.

The weight loss thing isn't going that great so far. I'm inconsistent in strategy and not committed enough, I think. I seem to get committed for a few days at a time and then give it all up again. Yesterday and today are good. We'll see if I can keep it going. How do you do that with all the other things competing for your attention and commitment? I know I did it 5 years ago. I should be able to do it again. I need to - my clothes don't fit.

It snowing here and the roads are getting pretty bad.  I doubt the weather will cancel Jason's swim meet this weekend, but I'm pretty sure I won't be running outside. I also won't have time to go to OSU for an inside workout. At least I got the walk in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment