Friday, February 19, 2010

Running and swimming

So I found another reason not to run. My running shorts don't fit anymore. Hmmmm. Or is that a reason TO run?!

What a gorgeous day today.  Sunny and 33 with no wind. The roads that have been plowed are mostly dry with a few spots of slush and a small pond here and there. Since I was off work today for Val's regional swim meet (more on that in a moment), I really didn't have any reason not to run when I got home at 2pm.

Since I haven't run in over a week (I think it was last Thursday?), I was pessimistic about heading out. I did okay though, especially given that it was not on the track and so I had a few little hills and obstacles to dodge. I ran a 5K distance without stopping and without water, though I REALLY wanted to stop and scoop up some snow but I didn't want to make my 5K time any worse than I knew it was going to be, so I didn't indulge until the Garmin said 3.1. Then I made a beeline toward a clean-looking snow bank.

The miles were 11:34, 11:10, and 11:15 with the 5K at 34:58. I didn't finish strong this time. I was just holding out to finish the distance. And it took me about 3 minutes of walking after some snow refreshment for me to recover enough to pick up the walking pace. I finished out the last mile with a 17:19 pace which is pretty fast for a walk for me.

Something really cool happened about 10 minutes after the 5K while I was walking the cool down. I was met by 3 cross country runners and when they were about 10 feet away, the one furthest away from me said something to me - just a greeting, but in that quick moment I realized a few things. First, the one who said hi was the coach of the team and Ken has told me he sees him running with his group all the time. Second, and more importantly, I heard a very welcoming and affirming message from him. I don't even know what he said, nothing obviously encouraging.  However, it felt like he was addressing me as a running person. Like "hi there, great to be out here, huh?" At that point, I had been walking, but had my Garmin on, my running tights, my trail running shoes, etc. and I may have looked like someone doing a cool down.  And I was someone doing a cool down.

So for all of you real runners out there who love this sport, train consistently, do incredible challenges like marathons and half and full ironman races . . . for all of you who do that and still coach or encourage others who will never be in that league, thank you.  It really makes a difference when you are inclusive and supportive of those who will never win a race or an age group or run a marathon. I listen to Steverunner because he is like that. And I admire my friends Jim, Tom, and Tim because they are like that. They are all very accomplished runners and yet they take the time to encourage others and they make me feel like I belong out there. Thank you!

Val had her regional championship meet today . . . well, it runs this whole weekend. She had a great regionals last year as a 10 year old and made it to the finals every day. We knew this year would be tougher because she is 11 in the 12 and under age group and Val is certainly one of the smaller kids in that group.  Despite the challenge of being at the bottom of the age group, she did great. She swam two events today, the 50 breaststroke and 50 fly and shaved about 2 seconds off each. That's pretty impressive for a 50. Last year she shaved something like 9 seconds off her 100 breaststroke, so in a little over a year she has really sped up with that stroke. Today she was swimming in the middle heats (7 of 10 and 5 of 10) and won her heat for fly. 

Since Val was not in the top 12 girls in either race, she didn't get to go back for finals at 5:30 tonight and was very disappointed. The breaststroke was probably her best shot at it for this meet and so she was sad. At her request, we went out to eat at China Dynasty for lunch and then ran some errands and headed home. She was listening to music with important messages to her (from Jump In mostly) and by the time we got home, she was feeling much better. 

Tomorrow, Val swims 3 events (the 100 IM, 50 free, and 100 breast) and then she swims two more on Sunday (100 free and 50 back). I don't know if they will have relays or not. If they do, Val will probably be on the B relay. Jason doesn't swim this meet because they don't have an 8 and under age group. Instead, he swims the huge state-wide 8 and under championship meet next weekend. It will be a zoo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly....I don't think I am in Tom or Tim's class in ability, proximity, or influence...but thank you. You are so correct though in the respect everyone should have for each other and the value of each person's effort. The result is not a particular time or distance....the result is the experience of being there. Glad to see you out there....

    ReplyDelete