Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Slow and slower

The past couple days at work have been tough. Still trying to get a handle on this new role. The good news is that I have company.  The other 5 people at the University who are working with me on this new process are also struggling right now. It's just the chaos time of change and it will settle eventually. Yesterday was particularly discouraging and I reacted by coming home and having 2 beers and eating poorly. Great plan.

Today I moved back to a cautious hopeful.

After work, I took the kids to swim team and forced myself to run. Outside. The footing is good now, no ice or snow lasted through the mid-40s temps we had today. I'm not sure why my run was so labored. Slow and tough. Didn't the pizza and beer and cookies last night provide enough fuel? I would think so. I did a pitiful 5K which included walking a minute or two occassionally. The miles were 12:02, 12:34, and 12:12. The 5K was almost an even 38:00. I'm getting slower and slower. And less and less motivated.  Grrrrrr.

I know, I know . . . I can't expect to always have a good run. And I shouldn't judge progress on one day.  Or two. Or three. Well, maybe three. :-)  And I'm just trying to build a new base since I lost it all with the surgery, so it doesn't matter how fast I run, just that I get out there. (that's true, right?)  So it's done. I got out there.

I may join the brisk walk group at work tomorrow, depending on my schedule and my sore knee, of course.  I think I have lunchtime free if I don't have to prep for any meetings. My knee was a little sore today while running and a bit more sore after running, especially when going down stairs. It hurts when my toes are on the ground and my heel is up. It's not terrible, though. I can persevere.

I'm sleeping a little easier now. I don't have to prop up on pillows or force myself to stay on my back, so that's progress. The expanders must be doing their job and my muscles and skin must be cooperating somewhat. I may run like molasses, but when it comes to my chest, I'm Elastigirl.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the runs that feel the worst and seem toughest are the most important ones. It is easy to run when you feel great....and we all know that many times during races, you don't feel so good....so the tough runs prepare you for that feeling so you don't quit. Besides Elastigirl never quits, she just goes around the "bends" faster.... nice costum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up Kelly! Progress is slow, believe me, I know.

    ReplyDelete