Monday, December 6, 2010

Tomorrow's appointment

Tomorrow I have my first annual follow-up appointment with my surgical oncologist.  I've been so busy that I forgot about it until today.   I have no idea what to expect. I know I'll have a physical exam because I can't have mammograms anymore.  We'll probably talk about the lymphedema but I don't expect to learn anything from him about that.  It may be just a quick check for lumps that might be hiding in any breast tissue he left behind.  There should not be any breast tissue left behind, though - that's the whole intention of the bilateral mastectomy, after all.

This will be my first post-mastectomy appointment with a doctor who is not my plastic surgeon.  It will be strange to have someone else seeing my breasts now.  The scars are large and still very prominent, which means they will probably always be that way.  It's been more than 6 months since my last reconstructive surgery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment