Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Poco Loco in Boston on April 30

I had a great workout today.  The weather was crappy and about to get worse, so my brother took us to Cottonwood Recreation Center where I ran on a tiny track (17 laps = 1 mile) and swam.  I ran most of 5 miles (only walked once during the 4th mile) and the splits were 10:17, 9:59, 9:40, 10:10 ,9:41, and 10:10.  The 5 mile time was 49:57, so I ran just about a 10 minute pace for the whole thing. That's really good for me, even in a track setting.

After the run, I swam laps in the pool and put in 1200 yards which is almost 3/4 of a mile.  The swim was slow and easy, though, with lots of resting at the 50 yard intervals.  I swam almost half of it freestyle, a quarter of it breaststroke, and the other quarter backstroke.  I attempted a 25 yard fly, but it was pitiful and I would have disqualified myself if I'd been officiating - I slipped in a breaststroke kick several times.  However, it wasn't all sad because I think I did a couple of legal competition backstroke turns.

The others took advantage of the inside ice skating ring while I was running and we met up at the pool afterward.  The kids played in the fun pools and went off the boards, but Ken made them do a few laps before we left.  Val did a 450 (mostly free and back - and a 50 breast).  Jason did a 250 (breast and fly - and a 50 free). 

I feel 100% better after the workout. I even felt pretty good during the workout, too. So why was I dreading doing it?  I really don't understand this motivation thing.  You'd think I'd be psyched to workout all the time since I almost always feel better when and after doing so.  Yet, about 80% of the time, I have to drag myself to change into workout clothes and to the venue. 

Today, it was a little easier to kick myself out the door because I'm officially training for the Poco Loco in Boston on April 30, 2011.  I'm so excited to be running this event and meeting up with others in the runnet community!  To get the most out of the weekend, I need to be adequately trained to run 6.55 miles without walking and fast enough to hang with others doing the event.  I know I can do it.  What a great feeling that is!

1 comment:

  1. Great note. Congrats about being on the Poco Loco Team. I know this means a lot to you and it will be a great motivator....and you get to meet your running mentor/motivator Steverunner too. Very cool. Go get 'em Kelly!

    ReplyDelete