Sunday, October 3, 2010

5K in 30 minutes

I did an indoor track workout at RPAC today and ran a 5K in 30:00!  My miles were 10:00, 9:50, and 9:13.  I walked three times, but only once for a full minute.  The other two walk breaks were about 40 seconds or so.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've run a 5K in 30 minutes or less.  I did it once on that same RPAC track while training for the Race for the Cure in 2008 and then during the actual race.  And I did it today, despite including a little walking.  I'm not even in serious training.  I haven't been doing speed work or anything.  Well, hmmm, maybe this run-walk-run thing is sort of like speed training for me.  I don't intentionally push the speed, but I have been running faster when I know I get to walk in just a few minutes. 

Today I listened to music instead of podcasts, so I'm sure that sped me up a bit.  Although I intended to do an easy run, the music and the digital clock hanging over the lanes at three places over the track, encouraged me to do otherwise. It felt great.

My hand has been swelling more this past week.  I'm always at a 3 out of 10 and sometimes a four or five.  I'll wear my glove more consistently this week and see it that helps.  I stopped wearing a glove at night, but will probably reinstate that practice.  I may even do the full wrap thing tonight.  Yuck. 

Yesterday I returned from another fabulous HR Technology Conference and now want to find time to synthesize all these ideas and learnings into goals or actions.  I really need to slow down a bit and take some time to think and organize and plan.  I'm getting caught in the do-do-do-do cycle and can easily get caught up in the busy and forgot the important. 

1 comment:

  1. Great running Kelly!! Running is half mental and half physical and I think that despite limited training, you are gaining in both. Relaxed, focused, and motivated makes a fast runner : - ). Very glad you enjoyed the conference....you are an idea person, so I hope you can find the time back in Columbus to put that great innovative mind to work.

    ReplyDelete