Sunday, October 10, 2010

Worldwide Festival of Races

Almost.  But I blew it.  I went out too fast and didn't have the mental toughness to hang in there.  Today, I did the Kick the Couch 5K for the Worldwide Festival of Races in 30:26.  Just 26 seconds slower than my goal.  And I walked twice in the last half mile.  I was so spent - just done.  When I saw I wasn't going to make it, I gave up and walked the last 10 yards or so to the finish.  My legs were wobbly and I walked another half mile afterward to cool down. 

My mile splits were 9:27 (unheard of for me!), 9:55, and 10:01.  Dang, 30:26.  So close.

It was hot today so I waited until the sun got low enough to allow the houses to cast shadows on my route.  It was still hot, but shady most of the way.  I've been having a lot of hand swelling caused by my lymphedma, so wore a custom glove with an ace bandage wrapped around it and up my forearm to my elbow.  During the second mile, I couldn't stop focusing on the heat under the wraps and the throbbing.  The throbbing may have been perceived and not real, but it annoyed me.  My mind was not cooperating with the mental state I needed for this race.  During the last mile, I could only think of hanging on . . . and instead of believing I could, I was pretty sure I couldn't.  If I could have distracted myself, I know I could have made up the 26 seconds because I would have been able to run more and walk less.  Grrrrrr.

Oh well.  It was a good run.  Today was probably my second fastest 5K race ever, just behind the Race for the Cure in 2008 when I finished in under 30 minutes.  Actually, my run today was among the 5 fastest 5Ks I've ever run, including in training, so I know I should feel pretty good about it.  And I do.

Earlier in the day, I put in a good hour or more of volleyball.  We played parents against Val's 7th grade volleyball team.  The parents won the first game and kids won the second.  We didn't get to play a third because it was time for pizza and the award ceremony.  The awards were a certificate and a patch with Ridgeview Jr High around the outside and a volleyball in the middle.  They didn't have individual awards because it's a team sport.

After I ran the 5K and got my legs to stop wobbling, I changed out of my soaked clothes and mowed half of the lawn.  I had to stop because it was dark. 

Whew!  What a long day.  Now it's bedtime.  Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Good night Kelly. You deserve the rest. Great job on your 5K. I ran an unofficial, very, very hilly 8 miler too......ran slow on the long two mile uphill, but cooked the last two/three down a hill and to the flats.....knew you would be running, so I figured I better get goin'. Don't be too hard on yourself.....you will find that the last mile will zoom on another 5K.....you have the endurance and certainly the mental toughness!

    ReplyDelete