Friday, October 8, 2010

Progress at work and home

I took a vacation day today and worked on home improvement projects.  I intended to do office work too, but didn't get around to it, so this will be a full day's vacation.  It was worth it, though.  I got so much done.  I helped Mom and Dad finish the insulation project in their basement and then we went to a carpet place and chose carpet for our basement.  I can't believe we'll have finished floors in our basement by the end of October.  It's been a long time coming.

Mom and Dad took the kids out for ice cream and Ken was out at a friend's surprise birthday party tonight.  So, I stayed home and got in a run.  I did 5K in 32:02 using the run 3 minutes and walk 1 minute pattern throughout.  My miles were 10:28, 10:35, and 10:10.  I finished up with a 6 minute walk for cool down. 

My Lymphedema has been a problem for several weeks now.  My hand is swelling and not going back down.  I've been wearing different gloves almost all the time (even during sleep) and trying different combinations of gloves.  Tonight when I ran, I wore the custom glove, wrapped the wrist with tape because it's too big, and then put on the ace bandage wrap around my hand and up to my elbow.  The wraps seem to help during the run, but after I take them off to take a shower, my hand swells again.  Now I've got the glove with the bean bag back in it to push down the swelling.  It usually works pretty well on the flat part of my hand, but not on my joints that attach my fingers.  Grrrrr. 

Oh well, other than the swelling, everything is very good.  We're moving along with a much needed reorganization at work and I'm very hopeful we will be more effective and productive as a result.  Work is always much more fun when we are doing well as a group.  Tomorrow is Val's last volleyball game of the season.  Actually, it's several games.  We have a tournament that starts at 8am.  That's almost as bad as a swim meet!

1 comment:

  1. Things sound like they are going great Kelly..... I know the Lymphedema is a pain, but you are active, running better than ever, enjoying work, and surrounded by the best husband and family anywhere. However, as a time savor, how about getting the kids involved with "water volleyball".....? : - )

    ReplyDelete