Sunday, October 31, 2010

10K in 1:06:14

Today's another Sunday with much activity.  I took Val to swimming this afternoon and ran a 10K in 1:06:14.  My miles were 10:55, 10:47, 10:52, 10:42, 10:27 and 10:51.  I used the pattern of running 4 minutes and walking 1 minute throughout the entire 6.2 miles.  I usually run 3 and walk 1, but it was a bit chilly out and I was in shorts and a t-shirt, so I needed to do a bit more running to keep warm. 

I felt great during the whole run today.  I didn't have to do the pleading with myself that I often do when running: "Just 45 more seconds and you can walk a minute, hang in there."  There was no time when I just wanted to stop short of the 4 minutes.  I think I cut the walk short once - I assume during the 5th mile since it was faster than the others - but I don't remember why - some environmental reason like dogs or cars or something annoying me. 

After the run, Val and I went shopping and got her a bunch of sweat pants, a shirt, and some ski pants.  We couldn't find a winter coat that worked.

Tonight, Ken and I have volleyball.  I'll be running around for 90 minutes, trying to get the second hit of each play, so I'm sure I'll get a second great workout in today. 

I haven't given an update on the Lymphedma in awhile, so I should tell you that a couple of times this week, I would rate the swelling in my hand as only a 2 or 3 out of 10, which is much better than it has been in a month or so.  It had been running consistently at a 5 or 6.  To fight the swelling of the past month, I've been wearing a compression glove or wrap to bed each night and much more often during the day, too.  I took off the custom glove after my run today and it hasn't gotten any worse this afternoon.  I'd rate it as probably a 2 or 3 today.  My pointer finger rarely swells anymore.  My middle finger is still an issue, but not too bad today.  Most of the swelling now is in the back on my hand, from the bottom of my fingers to my wrist.

I went to out dinner last night and visited with some friends who I haven't seen in a long time. It was wonderful to reconnect.

1 comment:

  1. Great running Kelly. The best news was that you felt great during the whole run. Don't forget to report after volleyball....whew, you are one tough woman!

    ReplyDelete