Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Training Lapse

I haven't been keeping to my training plan . . . and I know it's probably the most critical few weeks of the plan.  I've put so much time and energy and heart into the past 3 months, you'd think I could keep the momentum for the last few weeks . . . . yet I have so many excuses.  Chief among them includes very sore muscles and places rubbed raw on my feet.  Perhaps a very light week or two will be beneficial?  I can dream, can't I?

This weekend, I skipped my long run entirely.  To try to make up for it, I expanded my Monday run a bit.  I was scheduled for 3 miles but ran 6 miles in 1:03:30 on the indoor RPAC track.  We had a crazy day of thunderstorms and hail so I really had no choice.  Despite running only 6 miles and having what should have been fresh legs, my run was tough and I was very sore immediately following and throughout the evening.

On Tuesday I didn't have a run planned.  I attended Valerie's first softball game of the season.  She made the Jr. High softball team and was their starting shortstop.  She had a good game overall and made a couple of outs.  Our team lost by something crazy like 14 to 0, though.  The other team had a pitcher a full foot taller than Val and weighed about 150 pounds.  She was firing in pitches only a few girls even connected the bat with the ball.  Val was one of just 2 girls that put the ball in play, but got out at first base.  The game was played despite the weather being 44 degrees with a wind-chill of 36.  At various times, we had ice and slush raining down on us as we sat on aluminum bleachers.  I was freezing.  Although I wore my trail runners so my feet stayed dry, they were very cold and frozen.  Burrrrr.  Her next game is tomorrow and should be in the 60 degree F range.

Today I was scheduled to run 8 miles with 4 miles as speed work.  I struggled through the 8 miles but ignored the speed part.  I just wasn't up for it.  I should have taken a GU with me or ate something on the drive home.  I was totally wiped out.  I also had a sore place on the bottom of my foot that was bugging me from mile 4+.  Really, the only time I felt pretty good was mile 2.  It was a strange run.  My total time for the 8 miles was 1:26:59 with splits all over the place: 10:51, 9:58, 10:51, 11:01, 11:10, 10:50, 11:17, and 10:53.  I walked whenever I felt like it, which was more frequently in the later miles than the early ones.

On a more positive front, work and home life is going quite well.  I had a wonderful visit with my grandmother and parents who visited last week from Nebraska.  I just love having them here.  We visited and planned home improvement projects and Dad and Ken made quite a bit of progress on some of those projects.  We now have trim in the basement.  The kids' shower head is no longer held on by duct tape.  We have a new kitchen faucet.  And the blue tape directing visitors to use the correct doorbell is no longer required.  Although I was off work all week during their visit, I kept up with email and have been very productive so far this week. I suppose the break did me some good, after all. 

2 comments:

  1. HI Kelly. Don't give up. sometimes you need to listen to your body and take it easy for a few days. You might find you are stronger than ever when you come back to full training. So inspired by you. :) Laura (Drake) Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you trying to do a lot of "lapse" anyway?? Okay, bad track joke : - ) Hang in there and Laura is right, a break may help with repair and energy. Hey, you are ahead of me....my condo is attached to the foundation with duck tape....hey, what is the "mallard" with that. (joke for your granma)

    ReplyDelete