Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fat lip

On Friday, I put in a very quick 5K (30:00) with splits at 9:44, 9:48, and 9:34.  It was supposed to be an easy 3, but I was squeezing in a run before heading to Val's softball game and I didn't have much time.  Actually, I think I should count the run into the house, rushing through a shower, jumping into clothes, and racing to the car as part of the workout, too.  I doubt my heart rate dropped during the whole process.  I got to Val's game in New Albany ith 1 minute to spare.

Today I was scheduled for a 13 mile run, but I didn't get out in the morning as planned.  Instead I ran in the heat of the day and it was 83 degrees F!  My run was only 10 mile and was more of a walk than a run, really.  I walked a lot more than usual, that's for sure.  The 10 miles took me 2:05:52 and my splits tell the story:  10:29, 11:16, 12:19, 12:11, 13:16, 12:29, 11:51, 14:17, 14:37, and 12:59.  I started out with good intentions to put in the time as I have for most of my runs, but I allowed myself more and more walk breaks as I went along.  I stopped at a friend's house at about mile 4, replentished my water, and chatted for about 10 minutes off the clock.  I also stopped at the library to get more water and use the facilities.  I decided I wasn't in a hurry and was just wanting to do enough miles to qualify the run for a long run status.  I hope 10 miles qualifies.  It's not the 13 I'll have to do on the April 30 and May 7, but it was a warm couple of hours.

When I got home, I was sore and stretched a little and then got in the shower.  Ken came in and talked to me and asked how my run was, if he could get me anything, etc. and it wasn't until I got out of the shower that I saw that he was the one who needed helping.  He was running Jason's baseball practice and got hit in the nose/top lip with a foul tip.  His lip is huge and looks very sore.  His nose isn't broken and doesn't look too bad, but he says it's a bit torn up on the inside.  His teeth made it though the ordeal unbroken, thank goodness. 

Tomorrow, Val has to dress up at school and we found that she didn't really have any Spring dress clothes that fit, so we made a trip to Kohl's before church tonight.  Val will be wearing a skirt (that's a shocker!).  Many of her softball friends reported that they were planning to wear skirts, so I guess that opened the door for the possibility for Val.  She's usually a t-shirt and jeans or sweats kind of girl.  When dressing up, the jeans are tan or black and the t-shirt may be a bit more fitted and without words or pictures.  So an outfit with a skirt, sleeveless shirt, and sweater jacket will be quite a stretch for her.  Yea, Val! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad Ken survived his mishap :) It sounds like you did pretty good today considering how warm it got. We got thrown right into summer weather yesterday, too. I'm sure Val will look really cute all dressed up - tell both your kids "hi" from mine.

    ReplyDelete