Friday, April 22, 2011

Bruised IT band

Yesterday (Thursday), I had 45 minutes to get in a run that should take 60 minutes - or longer if I could take the time to stretch before and after. 

I ran 5 miles in 51:25.  My training plan called for mile 2 and 4 to be fast.  I complied as best I could.  My splits were 11:11, 8:49, 11:28, 9:05, and 10:45.  During the run, my right hip flexor was giving me grief off and on (especially during and right after walk breaks during the slow miles).  Afterward, my hip flexor and IT bands were tight, but not as bad as on Tuesday. 

While I watched Val's softball game, I pressed on my right IT band (along the outside of my thigh) and tried to work out the balled up places along my thigh.  Now I have 10 bruises that run up and down my leg.  Nice.  I must bruise pretty easily because I've done that to myself before, but never creating as many as 10 bruises.  Usually I have just one or two places where I pressed too hard with my fingers and broke some blood vessels while trying to loosen a muscle. 

My hand is swelling a bit more than usual right now.  I wear my custom Lymphedema glove when I run, but I also wear it occasionally when my hand swelling seems to be more pronounced than usual.  This week, I've worn it for a couple of hours just around the house and on the way to work.  I think I'll put it on this morning after I publish this post.

The kids are off school today and I'm trying to get some work done from home.  Actually, I got quite a bit done already and am taking a break to record yesterday's run information.  I was planning to run today, too, but I'm waiting to see if my right hip flexor and IT band loosen up a bit.  Right now, they are limiting my walking motion, so it's not looking good.  I'm pretty beat up.  I took some ibuprofen and will do some stretching after I get a little more work done.

1 comment:

  1. Careful Kelly.....however, I am going to be more sympathetic....I just realized you haven't been talking about a group of musicians from your Information Technology department : - )....smile, your grandmother is laughing....

    ReplyDelete