Friday, September 9, 2011

Feeling good about progress

Day 5 on the low carb diet.  I forgot to weigh in this morning, but I'm guessing I'm down a total of 3 pounds from Monday.  Yes, I know most of it is water.  But it's long-term water loss, it doesn't come back the next day.  And I feel like I'm making progress.

I love my carb manager iPhone app!  It has given me the information I needed to alter my previous low carb plan into something more healthy - and it should be more effective, too.  With less fat and more fiber, I should find it easier to drop these extra pounds.  This week, I've eaten limited quantities of raspberries, blackberries, cucumbers, V8, and tomatoes and quite a bit of lean meat, romaine and spinach salad.  I've also had less healthy things like cheese, nuts, steak, protein drinks, eggs and cottage cheese.  The balance in the food choices is a major improvement from my meat, cheese, and eggs focus during my 2004 low carb diet.  I had no idea how many calories I was getting from fat!  That couldn't have been good.  I hope the new plan is at least effective as before.

I did get that run in yesterday.  Runkeeper tracked me at 3.11 miles in 38:23.  That's sad if you know I ran that distance in under 30 minutes in May this year.  Ouch.  Oh well.  I haven't run much since May, probably just once a week or so.  These are the consequences.

Although I didn't plan to run today, the weather was just too perfect and I found myself at home alone for much of the evening.  So I laced up my shoes and headed out.  It felt pretty good to put in 5 miles in 60 minutes.  I walked most of the first mile to loosen up.  My mile splits were negative, so I must have gotten the hang of it out there.  Miles 2-5 were executed with a 2 minute run to 1 minute walk ratio.  Runkeeper clocked my splits at 16:14, 12:05, 11:45, 10:42, and 9:48.

No comments:

Post a Comment