Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Need to mix it up now

I haven't run since my 5K personal record on Sunday.  However, I played competitive volleyball on Sunday night.  Neither of those activities gave me a hint that I was injured.  Evidently I am.  Or something crazy is going on with my right hip flexor and IT band.   

We had a significant rain storm all day today so I went to RPAC (OSU's Recreation and Physical Activities Center) to run on the track that got me through my winter training.  I felt fine climbing the 4 flights of stairs to the track, but on the first step I knew I was in trouble.  I tried running a lap (1/8 mile) to loosen up, but I was limping badly.  So I stopped and stretched for about 10 minutes, focusing on hip flexor, IT band, and lower back.  I also did lunges.  My second running attempt wasn't any better.  So I got on a stationary bike located inside the track.

I have friends and family who think it's crazy that I can run half marathons but completely refuse to do any activity involving a cycle.  I know it's great cross training.  And I know most people think cycling is much easier than running.  I don't. 

I pedaled 2 miles in 11:20.  That's sad, I know: Many people can run that distance faster than I can cycle it.  At just 5 minutes, sweat was already pouring off me.  After the tortuous 2 miles, I went back to the track to try to run again.  No dice. So I walked a mile. Then I did the 2 miles on the bike again.  And another mile walk.

I finished up the workout in the weight room. I spent 30 minutes on arms, chest, abs, and back.  No leg work, though. 

After my crazy trifecta of running events (2 half marathons and a 5K in 3 weeks), I've been thinking I need to mix it up a little and add some other activities to my training.  I guess this injury forced the issue today. 

I should have hit the pool, but I was already in running clothes and it's been so long since I swam.  Since the bilateral mastectomy, swimming is so much different than before.  I used to be a pretty good swimmer and had a lot of upper-body strength.  Now it's tough to do even my favorite stroke, breaststroke.  Butterfly is impossible (not that I could do it well before the surgery, though).  I even get tired pretty quickly with freestyle and can't keep a straight line during backstroke.  I guess all those excuses should be reasons for starting to swim again instead of excuses not to do so.  Maybe.  Then there is the embarrassment of putting a flabby belly in a swim suit.  Oh yea, I guess that's another reason that is masquerading as an excuse.  Drats. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly, Kinda tough on yourself....how about giving yourself credit for working through discomfort and introducing some new things into working out. Sometimes including things that you really like in your workout helps....you spend lots more time thinking about the fun you are having, than the workout. Volleyball seems to do this for you and I am sure there are other activities. Plus you have an expert massage person in Ken who can help too : - ). Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete